Flash back. Last blog, I said...
"Rising a child takes a village"
I think about this quote many times a day. Shot I probably have thought about it 15 times in the last hour.
Rising a child simply cannot be done alone.
Completely and totally alone.
Nope. Not possible.
You might be able to do it for a day or two, but how many people honestly shut themselves off from others and rise a child all on their own?
I cannot think of one person.
(It's not a matter of whether they want to or not, we all know that if it was possible we would rise our children totally alone.)
Just mom and dad.
But it doesn't always work like that.
I don't even have our child here with us yet, and I already know that David and I will not be able to do it alone. We are going to have to have help along the way.
I guess for me to fully grasp the concept, asking for help is hard.
I'm pretty head strong on doing things my way and without help.
School for example.
I was born with hearing loss. We all know this. I have access to many different ways to help me do better and hear better.
Do I ask for them?
NO.
Why not you ask?
Because I am determined to do it on my own, to live with what was given to me 22 years ago. To make do with what I have.
Or because I was born FLAT OUT STUBBORN.
Yep, thats the best answer.
Although being stubborn has not been the worse thing that has happened to me. I have managed to make it through school this far, I will continue to make it.
Or take this pregnancy for example.
The last nine months have been the most aggravating months. I suddenly have become helpless and I didn't know it.
(okay it hasn't been totally aggravating but I hate when people give me the helpless stare)
Did you know that when you become pregnant, even people at the grocery store think you shouldn't lift a can of beans without hurting yourself. Well they do, so I am constantly turning down help. I can do it.
My family hardly lets me carry my own purse without muttering something under their breath, thinking I'll hurt myself.
Yep I don't like when people think I am helpless.
BUT...
I guess it's time for me realize that maybe, just maybe, I am going to have to
SWALLOW MY PRIDE
and ask for help.
I'm learning.
But I think this pregnancy has been an eye opener for me, because I have asked for help more times in the last nine months that I have the last 22 years of my life.
And I know it's only the beginning of my asking for help.
Thank goodness for David.
He knows when I need help without me even asking and he doesn't ever ask. He just does. That's one of the many reasons why he's perfect for me. He reads my mind wonderfully.
I cannot wait for Riley to meet all these people who love her so much and are so willing to help us. She is going to beyond blessed, just as David and I already are!
I am not going to shut my child out from all the help offered because she would only suffer. There are so many great people in our lives who are only going to enrich her life.
Totally BLOWN away.
Bring the village, I am ready for their help.
I have a list of chores for them too
No comments:
Post a Comment