Welcome to MY world. Where life isn't always as simple put together as it seems. I was born with a BI-Lateral hearing loss, meaning I wear hearing aids in both ears. I DO not let it hinder me in anyway and strive to live life with whatever comes my way. This is my journey as a mom and a wife living in a world of continual silence at times. I am out to show the world that this is not going to stop me from achieving my dreams and being the best I can be. I know I was made this way for a reason. While we may not always understand why, we have to try our best to figure it out.

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

CELEBRATING my Opa





Heaven gained a wonderful angel.
He's one of the greatest men I know.

“My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand.”
John 10:27-29 

Donald R.  Hall
"Don"
February 10, 1922 to March 12, 2013

Lived a beautiful 91 years.
Married a superb woman.
The most perfect woman for him.
The love of his life.
Funny story how the met. He told it to me many times. I wish he could tell me one more time. It always made him smile the biggest. Talking about his lady. That's what he loved to do. 
They had 4 wonderful children.
3 Boys, 1 Girl
My Uncle Woody.
My Aunt Nan. 
My knight in shining armor DADDY
My Uncle Sandy.
They would watch their children grow into the hard working individuals they are today.
Opa was always proud of his children. He'd always tell me 
"I always knew your dad was the smartest"
I don't doubt he said those same words to Kristen and Charlie.
 "I always knew your mom was the smartest"
He was funny like that. 
Each child made him proud in their own different way. 
He loved having them around.
He always bragged on them. Wanted to make sure that everyone knew they where HIS kids and HE was the one who raised them.
His smile.
Oh it could light up a room. Just being there, him, he could light up a room.
He truly is the best.
Years down the road, he was given 4 grandchildren.
3 girls and 1 boy.
Opa welcomed anyone into his life with open arms.
He changed a lot of "strangers" lives. I know he did.
He helped so many people.
He was unbelievable giving.
Caring.
Loving.
Amazing.
Selfless
There are not enough words to describe him. I could go on for days.
Opa was a man of habit.
He would also say everytime "I am a creature of habit"
It makes me laugh everytime.
He so was. 
In their lifetime I think a lot of unexpect-able things happened. 
But Opa always tackled it head on. 
Like the Leukemia he had twice.
It didn't serve a chance in this guy.
Opa is my hero.
He is a huge part of my heart. 
I miss him dearly. 
It's only been a day.



There are so many wonderful memories of him. I just sit and think of them all day long. I tell them to Riley. I smile.
I cry.
I saw a sweet older guy today at Target. He looked like him. I wanted to hug him.
I settled for a smile.
He smiled back.
It's like he knew I needed that.
I sure hope I didn't freak him out.
I just wanted to see one last little ounce of my sweet Opa.
And there he was.
He is everywhere.
Telling me he is okay. He is happy. He is with Oma.
That they are dancing away in heaven.
That he loves me.
I am so happy for him.
Opa's prayed for this day to come for many days.
He was ready. 
Really was ready this time.
He's said it several times he was ready but he would always come right back out of it because he truly wasn't ready.
He still had things to see and do on this earth. 
And HE knew that.
It just took Opa time to see that HIS plan was.
The toughest thing about death is watching someone suffer.
Opa prayed every night for the last year of his life that it was his time.
And his prayer was answered.
And we are rejoicing for him.
I know he was peaceful. He was always peaceful.
Today we celebrate his life. We don't mourn it.
We CELEBRATE the great life he was given.

"For if we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord. So then, whether we live or whether we die, we are the Lord’s"

Romans 14:8

Opa was 100% the Lord's and 100% ready to meet him. 


Opa was happiest surrounded by his family. 
He loved having his children and grandchildren around. 
He made every effort to be with them all the time.
Most of my childhood memories are with Oma and Opa in North Carolina or Florida.
Those where always my favorite places to go.
Simply because I knew they where there.
I remember pitching a fit when I was a young girl because dad was going fishing in the Keys. 
I was jealous because I thought he was going to see Oma and Opa.
He was going on a fishing trip with 3 of his best buddies. 
But all I wanted was to go see my grandparent.
I just loved them so much.


When I was a kid, Opa insisted I eat oatmeal with rasins in it.
Problem was I HATE raisins.
Secretly I still do.
LOVE grapes HATE raisins. 
I am weird.
Every visit consisted of Opa and I battling it out about how I was or was not going to eat that bowl of raisin oatmeal.
And every time I lost that battle.
Yesterday, I ate a whole bowl with raisins. 
I enjoyed every bite.
Not because of the raisins but because of the memory.
Made him proud. 
Made me happy.
It's the little things.


North Shore. The one place that ANYONE could go and forget their worries. 
It was the best house. 
Opa bought it to be able to have one place for all of his family to get together.
And that's exactly what we did.
That was the best house.
Opa loved it. 
Oma did too.
It was on the water.
It was beautiful.
David and I got married there.
That was the happiest day of my life and Opa's too. 
He smiled all day.
Never once did he stop. 
He loved to be by the water. 
Or on the boat. 
I see where my dad and I get it from. 


Nothing made Opa happier than seeing his grandchildren happy.
One summer many years ago, my mom, dad, and sister and I all went to visit Oma and Opa at Hendersonville.
They had the best house. So fun with the BEST hills for riding down into their driveway.
Well that trip, I forgot to pack my bathing suit.
How I managed that is beyond me.
Any trip we went on to see Oma and Opa always consisted of swimming somehow.
I was heartbroken.
Opa took me shopping.
OPA took me shopping. 
Why?
Because he wanted to see me smile.
He picked out the bathing suit.
He didn't even think twice about the price.
He told me it was fit perfectly.
and He was right.
It did.
I wore that $96.38 bathing suit for years.
I still fit into it.
I still have it.
I don't wear it anymore because it's thinned out over the years.
But I kept it simply because he said it was the one.



Last night, I was talking to my dad.
He told me when he was a young boy that after he would go to bed
Opa would sometimes come in and sit in his bed with him and together would say 
The Lord's Prayer.
I've never heard my dad say that before.
But something about it gave me such peace.
Last night, I was struggling to fall asleep and so I must of said it 6 or 7 times before I felt myself drift into a deep sleep. It comforted me so much. 
It was what I needed. I felt Opa right there with me.

The Lord's Prayer

'Our Father, which art in heaven,
Hallowed be thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come.
Thy will be done in earth,
As it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
As we forgive them that trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
But deliver us from evil.
For thine is the kingdom,
The power, and the glory,
For ever and ever.
Amen.'

In this picture (other than the fact that I am mildly chunky as it was 3 weeks after having Riley) Riley is pitching a fit. You can't really tell. So we all three smiled and acted like it was no big deal. Opa was over there smiling and talking to her trying to comfort her. This makes me so happy.

First time being held by Opa. This was taken before the picture above it. She instantly got mad after being plucked out of his arms. Guess we should have left her :)



PROUD PROUD PROUD great grandfather!


I miss him. Dearly. Whole Heartedly. 
I can't wait to see him again. 
Save a seat for me Opa. I sure do love you.
I could share stories about him all day.
The memories, they flood me. 
He is everywhere.
Anything triggers a wonderful memory of him.
I love all these memories. 

 'So we are always of good courage. We know that while we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord, for we walk by faith, not by sight. Yes, we are of good courage, and we would rather be away from the body and at home with the Lord.'
2 Corinthians 5:6-8


No comments:

Post a Comment